25 Mar Upper Madison River Fishing Report 3-25-15
FLOWS: Hebgen Dam-663 cfs
Varney Bridge-891 cfs
CONDITIONS: Visibility is very good at 4-5 feet
The Upper Madison Rivers continues to drop and the fishing is great! An unseasonably warm spring and a lack of ice has the fish on the bite and anglers happy, happy happy! Check out our Montana Fly Fishing Spring Special to get in on the action and save some green.
NYMPHING: Nymphing two flies dead drift under an indicator will be your best bet for consistent action right now. We have been fishing on the small side of normal size for this time of year as water levels have dropped and pressure has increased.
- Pat’s Rubber Leg Stone in black, brown, olive or tan size # 6-10.
- Tungsten Golden Stone size # 6-12.
- Tugsten Yellow Sally Nymph Size #10.
- San Jaun Worms in red, pink or orange size #14-10
- Beadhead Prince’s, Psycho Princes, Psycho May’s, Micro May’s, Flashback Pheasant Tails size #14-18.
- Zebra Midges, Serendipities and Copper John’s in red size #14-18.
- Pettis Unreal Egg, Otter Egg, Glo-Bugs and Yarnie type egg patterns in orange, pink, tangerine, and green size #14-16.
STREAMERS: The streamer bite is still pretty soft but daytime temps are expected to reach into the 70’s next week so water temperatures are expected to increase
Recommended streamer patterns for the Madison River:
- Whitlock’s Hare Sculpin, Sheila Sculpin, Stalcup’s Sculpin, McCunes Sculpin, Exasperator Sculpin, Trevor’s Sculpin, Big Gulp Sculpin, Mini-Loop Sculpin and Zonker’s in Natural and olive and brown size # 4-8.
- For a more complete list of streamers see our TOP 10 STREAMERS FOR SW MONTANA
DRIES: There are some fish rising to midges sporadically along soft inside edges and along foam lines.
- Griffith’s Gnat, Midge Cluster patterns, Parachute Midge, Midge Emerger’s size #14-18.
TIPS: The Madison River rainbow’s are in full spawn so watch your step and stay clear of area’s with polished gravel.